Tel: 074 4096 9468
Request A Callback


If you come to the UK as a visitor you are normally allowed to stay for a maximum of 6 months. Should you require to stay longer it may be useful to look at different types of visas to accommodate your stay.

Visitor will include the following categories:- General visitor, business visitor, sports visitor, visitor in transit, visitor for marriage and civil partnerships and entertainer visitor.

There are 4 types of entry clearance that are issued for visitors to the UK:

  1. A visa – nationals of the countries or territories listed in the table below
  2. An entry certificate – for nationals of any other county outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  3. EEA family permit – for family members of EEA nationals
  4. An exempt vignette – for people such as diplomats

Should you be unsure as to which type of visa is current for you, then please call us for an initial meeting where out qualified Solicitors will assist you as much as possible.

The family visa enables you and your family to have the option to stay longer than the general 6 month period on the conditions that you meet the eligibility criteria’s.

A child visitor is any child under the age of 18 and intends to stay no longer than 6 months. Should a child be travelling alone to the UK further documentation will be required.

Are you sponsoring a visitor?

Before deciding to sponsor a general visitor it is vital that the visitor is eligible to enter the UK on a general visitor basis. Please contact us to find out more about the eligibility criteria.

A sponsor of a visitor will also need to provide documentary evidence with the application. The documents which will need to be provided will obviously depend on the situation and we will advise you of the same once we understand your position as a sponsor.

Business Visitor

A person classed as a business visitor is someone who is coming to the UK to transact business, i.e. coming to the UK for undertake some sort of business activity.

A business visitor can visit the UK for no more than 6 months unless you are a doctor taking the PLAB test in which case an application to extend stay will be required.

This category includes academic visitors, visiting professors, and overseas news media representative and film crews.

Visitor in Transit

You can come to the UK as a visitor in transit if you will arrive in the UK, pass through immigration control and then leave the UK within 48 hours. Should you require more than 48 hours in the UK, it will be necessary to consider the alternative options i.e. applying under a different category. Contact us for further information.

Visitor for Marriage or Civil Partnership

If you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership, and you and your partner intend to leave the country within 6 months, you can apply for a visa as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.